Having dyed Bert’s wool pink last week I decided to put it to good use and to make a baby hat for Hannah who is the daughter of Bert’s owner. First of all I made a small swatch:
The wool that I dyed last weekend came out as a really subtle shade of pink which was perfect. When knitted up on 4 mm needles it turned out that 10cm x 10cm could be achieved with 19 stitches and 26 rows. I cast on 72 stitches and started knitting in stocking stitch for about 11 cm. I divided the total number of stitches by 8 and then started decreasing evenly across 8 divisions every alternate row working 16 rows altogether before breaking off the wool and passing it through the remaining stitches and sewing up the side seam. So easy and quick. I was delighted. I decided to embellish the hat with a small flower and hey presto it was complete. Hannah now looks gorgeous with her new headgear.
I returned to my sock knitting this morning. I haven’t touched these for a while now and I have a feeling that I messed up where the Fair Isle pattern is concerned (the curse of watching t.v. and counting stitches simultaneously). I studied what I knitted briefly and I really can’t imagine anybody getting down around my ankles with a magnifying glass so I’m just going to keep on working away at them.
My efforts to get the resources for dyeing this week have moved on somewhat thankfully. Last week I ordered some alum from WildColours.co.uk and it arrived to my workplace. My colleagues couldn’t understand my joy when I pulled it out of the package but they gave me understanding looks when I explained how hard it had been to get.
A few minutes later I was handed another small package from a friend and I got such a shock when I opened it:
More alum but where the alum from the UK was in crystal form the most recent alum was in a small block. It turns out that it came from one of the Chinese markets in Dublin and the lovely note accompanying the packet informed me that if I need more that is where I should go. I’m really delighted to hear this and can’t wait to get started with dyeing wool naturally. I even bought some undyed wool so that I don’t waste any of the teensy amount of white/grey alpaca fleece that I have left.
The only fly in the ointment is that those bushes that are growing all around me are just not bearing enough fruit at the moment so it’s a bit of a waiting game. I’ve been reading an old book that I found in my mother’s house. It’s called The Woolcraft Book, spinning dyeing weaving and is by Constance Jackson and Judith Plowman (1982, pub. William Collins). I must say that it is fascinating reading and I have been returning to it again and again. The authors are based in New Zealand and recommended, not surprisingly, ferns for dyeing. I hurried out into the wood to see what is available there:
Somehow I don’t think that I need to worry about finding a source of green material. I shall give the blackberries and elderberries a little more time though.
The boys have been allowed down into the garden again as the grass is getting rather long. Usually they have the whole run of the place but recently Bootsy decided that when they are by the house it is too far to go to the back field to relieve himself preferring to use the driveway instead. This morning I had to put up a hasty barrier using string and garden chairs and old bits of a trampoline. Alpacas are very good with barriers though however flimsy they may be. Unlike sheep it doesn’t take much to keep them contained.