Today I decided to make a start on Bert’s fleece. As I still have the remnants of his wool on the spools from last year I may as well keep going. It was raining this morning so I decided to work in the shed rather than the garden. Once I had the fleece on the table I quickly pulled out the best bits and placed them in a basket to card. The remainder I checked through and if it contained insects, was soiled or it was simply cut too short for spinning I put it into an old pillow case. The rest is in the ‘to do’ pile.
I then took out my trusty drum carder. This one has super fine needles for working with alpaca fleece. Bert’s fleece goes really well through the carder and comes off with comparative ease.
I managed three loads altogether and will make a start on a mega spinning session soon.